Wednesday, April 19, 2006

procrastination

I've got a sermon to write. The working title is "The Dark Underbelly of Grace," but that's as far as I've gone with it. Here's what I've done instead:

I am Philip Melancthon.
You are Philip Melancthon, author of the Augsburg Confession and colleague of Luther at Wittenberg. You were the most prominent among the Lutheran theologians seeking reconciliation with the Catholic Church.

I'm also Jurgen Moltmann.
The problem of evil is central to your thought, and only a crucified God can show that God is not indifferent to human suffering. Christian discipleship means identifying with suffering but also anticipating the new creation of all things that God will bring about.
I came out high on Luther, Calvin, Anselm, Schleiermacher and Tillich, as well.

It's too beautiful outside to be productive- I'm going to go continue scoring a sunburn.

5 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

I am "Desiderius Erasmus, the Catholic humanist who offered biting satires of the Church but refused to join the Reformation cause."
Surprisingly accurate!

Mr. Miro said...

Or perhaps Paul Tillich, who "sought to express Christian truth in an existentialist way. Our primary problem is alienation from the ground of our being, so that our life is meaningless. Great for psychotherapy, but no longer very influential." Just like me (except for the psychotherapy part).

Matthew Hisrich said...

Hmmm...I came out as Anselm, with Barth a close second. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to make of that.

Julie said...

Mr. Miro:
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
-Desiderius Erasmus

He was a type 5, eh?

Matt:
Anselm and Barth. Wow. No wonder you're such a great preacher.

Matthew Hisrich said...

Thanks - I don't know what a good rating is, though. I didn't score higher than 67% on anybody. Perhaps I'm not cut out to be a famous theologian.