Thursday, April 20, 2006

robespierre


Except for his spectacular absent-mindedness – he once served the soup onto the tablecloth, not noticing the absence of a bowl – he was like other people.

I never thought I'd feel such an affinity with Robespierre.

Unrelatedly, I would not have guessed the meaning of Wing-dings:
U.S. slang. A fit or spasm, esp. as simulated by a drug addict; freq. in phr. to throw a wing-ding. Also in weakened sense, a furious outburst.

Am I misremembering, or is this the name of the crazy Windows font?

1 comment:

Mr. Miro said...

RE: Wing-dings: perhaps it was originally a reference to the second sense, thinking of the profanity of cartoon characters (i.e., Sarge in Beatle Bailey, not like "Married to the Sea.")
I'm curious about Tilly as well, but I'm afraid he'll have to wait for a week (or two).