Thursday, February 08, 2007

pre-grumble announcement

But the fact that we're seeing a black candidate who seems infinitely more relaxed with himself than his female competitor speaks volumes about just how much we're likely to punish women who step outside the bounds of corporate-flavored gravitas.

Part of this is Clinton's own fault — the very act of saying "you keep telling me to be funny" is depressing evidence of her burdensome self-consciousness. But then again, female humor is easily bent into the worst cliches about women. Funny men, after all, are considered smart, confident and sexy. But wisecracking chicks risk accusations of bitterness, hormonal instability and the assumption (no matter what they look like) that they're using wit to compensate for physical unattractiveness.


-Link

This just reminded me about chapel tomorrow: led entirely by women, with only women speaking. I want to be excited- I'm all about people being able to hear their call to ministry without being slapped down for their gender- but I have a feeling I'll be grumbly afterward.

So, if you're in a mood to listen to a few hours of agitated gender theory tomorrow, take me out to lunch! That's my point. Because a free lunch is a good lunch.

2 comments:

BrianY said...

I guess I missed my chance. You were looking like you wanted to get out of there pretty intensely afterwards, so I didn't say anything... but I would like to hear your reactions at some point, grumbly or otherwise.

Julie said...

Not so much grumbling, although I already shared that. I am convinced, though, that we tend to accept the patriarchial definition of femininity as passive and then place that passiveness on God when we introduce feminine imagery in worship.

This not only explains troubles in contemporary pacifism, but also why process theology is so appealing to liberal-spiritual folks even though Whitehead wasn't much of a theist. I think I might bring that up in Ethics tomorrow, if I've had enough coffee.