Thursday, February 08, 2007

busted out the markers

I've been drawing the same cartoon characters since high school, more or less, without paying much attention to them. None of them have names, and while all of them are somehow me, their individual personalities are rather diffuse. I'm taking Spirituality and the Body now, though, so I've been looking at them a little more closely. This one tends to hold who I am more than the rest, and what stands out to me now is how large her eyes are- up on stalks and looking at everything.

She's also got hips. Just sayin'.

I busted out the markers because pieces of a poem I posted before were in my head:

...I am not who I was,
though some principle of being
abides, from which I struggle
not to stray...

...Yet I turn, I turn,
exulting somewhat,
with my will intact to go
wherever I need to go...

...a nimbus-clouded voice
directed me:
"Live in the layers,
not on the litter."
Though I lack the art
to decipher it,
no doubt the next chapter
in my book of transformations
is already written.
I am not done with my changes.


Not done; I labeled that post 'inauspicious beginings,' but that actually sounds rather encouraging. I am not done.

My recent attraction to this poem is all tied up with what Hugo wrote on conversion and regret. I'm struck by his words on forgiveness, in particular, but not in any way that I can articulate yet.

For something completely different: "...and then he's shouting that my astronauts were living together in sin and that they deserved to be mulched!" -Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

No comments: