Tuesday, January 23, 2007

swingingly naive

I got a nine dollar tip off a thirty dollar check tonight. I asked the guys if there was anything else I could do for them, and they said "is there a room in the back where you could give us, um, a backrub?"

Nine bucks is nine bucks, I guess.

I went back to the storage area, later on, and some friends were talking about swing dancing. It's been forever since I've been swing dancing, and even though I'm no good at it I stopped for a listen. They asked if I wanted to join, and I said 'Sure! When?'

Long story short: they weren't talking about swing dancing. They were talking about swinging. I made a valiant attempt to ignore the problem by saying 'You've got a swing in your yard? Like a tire swing?'

Fellow gives me a long and somewhat discomfiting scan and says 'you know what I'm talking about.' Intensely. Then another person came up, and I slipped off with my ketchup.

Perhaps I should rethink my habit of dancing to rap music while climbing in the shelving. An odd night all around.

No comments: