Tuesday, January 23, 2007

the rebelution

I don't often talk, around ESR parts, about the problems I see in conservative Christian circles. Folks here are quite motivated to address those problems, loudly and at legnth, even when they have no clue what they're talking about.

This survey, however, suprised me. It shouldn't have- I've met these folks before- but I guess it's been a while.

Some of the questions:
It is a stumbling block for a girl wearing pants to sit cross-legged (i.e. Indian style).
Seeing a girl stretching (e.g. arching the back, reaching the arms back, and sticking out the chest) is a stumbling block.
Seeing a girl take off a pullover (i.e. a shirt that must be pulled over the head) is a stumbling block, even if she is wearing a modest shirt underneath.
Dresses that are fitted at the waist (e.g. with a belt or waistband) are a stumbling block.

And etc.

First off, if the men taking this survey are turned on by girls, rather than by women, that's a problem that likely has little to do with the way the girl is dressed.

Perhaps the word 'woman' is immodest.

Anyway, I apologize to all the men I've tempted by sitting crosslegged in jeans, particularly the jeans I'm wearing today with the sparkles on the butt. If I weren't such a hussy, maybe I wouldn't get propositioned by guests at the Roadhouse.

I was joking with a friend over the weekend about going plain, but all this makes long skirts and headcoverings look pretty good to me.

5 comments:

Kate said...

It's interesting how all the questions are posed in such a way that you already know how the surveyors feel about the modesty or immodesty of particular clothing items. For example, "A one-piece swimsuit with shorts on top is modest" and "A tankini with a bikini-bottom is immodest." The way the questions are asked predisposes the one taking the survey to choose in a particular way.

Another interesting point is that there is no survey on the other side...why isn't male modesty important?

I agree with them on some points and I think modesty is important, but the way this site presents it is ridiculous.

Julie said...

Yeah, agreed. I found myself wondering over the swimsuit questions, in particular, that they could so clearly think that shorts are immodest unless they are worn with a swimsuit while soaking wet.

Male modesty isn't important because women don't have sex drives. Get with the program, Kate.

Mr. Miro said...

Who was joking about going plain?

Kate said...

Hmmm...I forgot about that no sex drive thing. It's good that you reminded me, otherwise I might have done something unfeminine.

Katrina Rowe said...

Hey you all! Since I was the inspirational force behind the survey, part of the team and the female coordinator for it, I thought I'd help you understand it a little better.
The questions were not purposely posed in such a way that they reflect the views of the creators of the survey. These questions were submitted by girls and a bit of the original wording was left intact. From looking through the statements you can also see that they didn't predispose the guys to answer the questions a certain way seeing as how the "agrees" and "disagrees" very greatly from statement to statement.
There is a strong possibility that there will be a survey for the guys' modesty in the future. The survey for the girls was just in a higher demand at this point.