Monday, January 08, 2007

class break

Diamond Joe's in my head, this morning:
And I'm gonna walk in the city square
With all this bear grease in my hair


This is great, in that it's an upbeat song that keeps me awake.

The downside, though, is that I'm singing it to myself in class, and bouncing up and down and grinning. It's a small enough class that the professor can give students opportunity to speak when they look confused or like they've had an insight, which I generally appreciate since I don't always speak up when I have an idea or question. Today, though, Diamond Joe has resulted in me being asked to share my insights with the class on multiple occasions when I have had no such insights.

I've passed a few times, and made up some stuff about 'nonverbally invoking the unseen source of power within a context currently being made sacred' on the fly, but I think I need to find a quieter song to sing for the second half of class.

Update! Status report: Mission Find A More Appropriate Song, dismal failure. Continued singing Diamond Joe throughout class discussion of the theological signifigance of marriage. Briefly considered doing a classroom special music- Diamond Joe don't you know, she should have left me long ago...- but fortunately realized in time that this is only funny as a hypothetical.

1 comment:

Mr. Miro said...

I haven't had the particular "Diamond Joe" experience, but I can certainly sympathize with having the music in your head leak out into the classroom.
("As I walk down the highway all I do is sing this song...")