Saturday, January 06, 2007

bread of heaven, broken for you

My hands are still shaking. Not much, I guess, just enough that I can see it, and enough to be having trouble typing. But shaking, nonetheless.

About an hour ago, I finished helping to lead my first communion service. Steve had done this before; my only experience was in a deaconish role in a congregation in Indianapolis, once, several years ago.

I was reminded of Luther, this morning, his fear that he would somehow mess the service up. I'm no transubstationist- I tend to think of the real presence of Christ as something within the gathered community, rather than within the bread and cup. I worried, though, worried that I mess up the prayers, mess up the songs, mess up the order, drop the bread and spill the juice.

Well, I did mess up. Not badly, but there were errors. Jesus showed up anyway.

I have lots to say, and no idea how to say it.

Hopefully my hands stop shaking before I get to work tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we can all be thankful that Jesus "shows up anyway" in so many areas of life.