Wednesday, October 18, 2006

pumpkin cream

I bought a cup of coffee and a sausage sandwich today at the gas station. Both were adventures, and neither was totally a disappointment. The sandwich was heavyladen with greasy, sugary wonderfulness, and the coffee was, in a word, caffeinated.

Purity is usually essential to me, in evaluating a cup of coffee. I never muck mine up with cream and sugar, and certainly not with non-dairy cream and fake sugar. Cream goes on oatmeal, and sugar goes in cookies (and gas station sandwiches); coffee is a blessed moment set aside for caffeine alone.

Except today. Today, I was lured by the vast, colorful display of little creamer cups in the rack beside the go-lids. Pink ones, green ones, blue ones... I do love color. There were the old standards- French Vanilla, Irish Cream, Hazelnut- the stolid creamer flavors that add stability to an ever-changing world.

Mixed in among the standards, though, were newfangled oddities like Cinnamon Hazelnut and Pumpkin Spice. "Pumpkin Spice!" I thought. I free associated: coffee-> hot drinks-> Mormons-> college-> Java 101-> chai! That was it- chai always makes me think of pumpkin pie, which I love! Maybe, just maybe, my coffee could taste like pumpkin pie, too? I poured in two creamers with bated breath, and waited for the concoction to cool.

Of course, I didn't experience the rapturous delight for which I had been stoking myself. Pumpkins are good, sugar is good, and coffee is superb, but they don't all go in the same cup. I missed the bitter bite of my old friend- nothing washes down greasy sausage like black gas station coffee.

I may have to walk back to the gas station for a plain cup of coffee, just to wash the sugary taste out of my mouth. However, my return trip to Speedway will be as a more experienced person, wiser for having learned an important lesson about being true to myself. I must not be swayed by the pressures of this world, no matter how colorful and potentially promising they may be. I am a woman who likes her coffee black, and while openness to new experiences is to be appreciated, in the end I still like my coffee black. And it was good.

I'm preaching tomorrow in chapel, using a version of the same sermon that I preached at home. I should be revising and practicing... but I'm considering offering a five minute testimony on the importance of integrity in hot drink choices and then leaving the rest of the meeting for silence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you take your gas station coffee waaaaay too seriously...and the chai thought progression alittle strange...have you ever eaten pumpkin ice cream? now that's good!

Anonymous said...

above post came from me,
Mar