Wednesday, June 14, 2006

word of God

In belated reply to Brian's question, we did not hear a sermon on the Federal Marriage Amendment. Instead, we're on what appears to be a three week cruise through why the Bible is the Word of God and the only path to salvation.

Last week, I knitted furiously while muttering, "gee, that's not how my copy of the book of John describes the Word of God." I forgot my knitting at home this week, so I started flipping through the pew Bible. Spurred on by irritation and boredom, I upped the ante by placing my copy of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight inside the pew Bible and nodding along to the alliterative verse. Much better, and I don't think anyone noticed.

This coming week, I'm predicting that we move past the DaVinci fascination to various remarks on the Gospel of Judas, with perhaps a smattering on faithfulness in world witness because that hasn't come up yet. We shall see.

1 comment:

Mr. Miro said...

I will paraphrase the words of a weighty Quaker I met in passing last summer (in Barnesville, OH, if that tells you anything):
"Jesus is the Word of God; the Bible just contains God's words."
This is friendlier than Sally McFague's observation that some people worship a book instead of God; more useful, too.

I can't say nearly anything as insightful about the Green Knight; all I know is that the Black Knight always triumphs!