Tuesday, May 16, 2006

discernment, part the second

Truthful Spirit, dwell with me: I myself would truthful be,
and, with wisdom kind and clear, let thy life in mine appear,
and, with actions lovingly speak my Lord's sincerity.


I remember as a child being entranced one evening by the way paper lanterns glow. We were at a cookout or picnic or something, I guess: I don't remember anything about the evening other than that multicolored string of paper lanterns. I stood there staring at those lanterns and thinking about Jesus in my heart, a phrase I heard often at home and less often at seminary. That's the image I've carried of 'Jesus in my heart' since, that something was lighting in me, and I needed to be thinskinned enough to allow that light through.

He must become greater; I must become less... that's what "let thy life in mine appear" makes me think of. Somehow, a new life, a more truthful life, lives its way through me, glowing like a votive enclosed by a hopefully transluscent me.

Truthful Spirit, dwell with me.

2 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

I had missed this one; I like the image.
Another image occurred to me earlier today: I hide my light under a bushel because I'm afraid of it being blown out. Yours is, of course, much better. Perhaps I'll write a song, Jesus and the Paper lanterns...

Julie said...

I like yours, too. I think I do that more than I care to admit, and it's so foolish- a fire will survive a breeze much better than a lack of oxygen, particularly a well stoked one.