Thursday, March 16, 2006

pacifism

I've thought and thought about this, but graham has the clearest distinction between pacifism and a committment to nonviolence that I've read recently:

Pacifism, particularly in anabaptist circles, can simply be a way to avoid violence. Yet, nonviolent resistance - which is what Christ teaches us and is at the heart of our faith - looks Violence in the eye and squares up for battle.


It's not about not fighting- it's about putting on the armor of God and preparing for battle. This is a sort of nonviolence that I could get behind.

1 comment:

Larry Clayton said...

Don't fool yourself, Clandie, you have a great deal to say.

Re non-violence: yes! Some of the Quaker ladies object to Onward Christian Soldiers, but that's a knee jerk response.

Life is a battle; to live for Christ is the most intense battle anyone every fought. I fought in two wars for my country, and I can speak from experience.