Monday, January 22, 2007

what are you doing here, Elijah?

Late last night, I was rereading a book of poetry by James O. Bond that I recieved from a friend who moved away. I had already turned out all the lights before I went digging for this poem, so I read it by a candle:

Let go, he said, and fall
Into the everlasting arms
Your frantic grasp upon the edge
Of sullen life is useless now,
Unhand the day, and unheeding fall
Into eternal care.

But no, I plead
I sense no sure embrace
I fear an everlasting fall
Into a cruel and empty space.

Remember yet, he said,
The gentle curvature of space
Encircling time and you
Holds in its arms
The wholeness of us all
And tenderly returns your fall.
Let go, he said, and rise
Into the endless skies.


It was also an evening for digging back through old music, starting with Eli and moving through Margaret Becker, Sarah Masen, Five Iron Frenzy, Third Day, and some Jars of Clay for good measure. Old friends of mine; I should haul them out more often for tea.

3 comments:

BrianY said...

Beautiful poem... but I think I liked the previous, mostly green, sans serif look better, FWIW.

Julie said...

Hm, I'm in a lavender mood, but I do like it better sans serif.

Anonymous said...

I like the lyrics. However, unlike a poem, I know that they're put to music, so in my head I'm hearing them sung... unfortunately, they're all being sung to the same, rather bland tune, by the same, rather bland singer.