Thursday, December 07, 2006

wonder

Black Sabbath was mentioned at worship today. I don't remember the context, but running across this album both reminded me of today's worship and made me wonder who I might buy it for as a Christmas gift. Preferably someone who would let me listen, voyeuristically. Or maybe it just made me wonder; I can't imagine what it would sound like.

Speaking of wonder, I had a brief wonderous moment last night in class. Fascinated by a friend's pen, which was clear and swirly, I held it to the light and rotated it to watch the prisms spin. So captivated was I by this brief glimpse of glory that, at first, I didn't notice other putative friends mocking my moment of vision. Contempt, that's all they had for my simple appreciation of beauty.

Community hurts, sometimes- that's my point.

8 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

I think the question was whether or not one should expect integrity--match between their self-presentation and their lyrics--from a band named "Black Sabbath." Integrity is a funny thing, but in this case I think the answer was, no.

I apologize for mocking the glory of the swirly pen, but there was no contempt for your simple appreciation of beauty, just envy. Or, to use the local idiom, it was just an expression of my own woundedness.

Matthew Hisrich said...

I just wanted to let you know that regardless of the pen issue, I appreciated your use of putative. At the same time, though, being labeled as such may only encourage further questionable behavior in the hopes of having similarly fine vocabulary used to describe the persons in question.

Julie said...

Brian-of-the-broken-blog gets credit for 'putative friends,' after fearing aloud in a team meeting that the stress of editing our last exegesis paper might make him suicidal. I worried that this would impede our ability to complete the project, while Sarah noted that we might be able to use his tragic death to win an extension from Rick. This was not taken as a sign of deep friendship.

Apology accepted, Mr. Miro, although it only rates a B-. Additional groveling and asskissing will improve your score, should you choose to resubmit.

Mr. Miro said...

That's not fair--I'm just a cartoon character, and don't even have knees upon which to grovel.

I am sorry, though.

Julie said...

That's close enough to groveling, for a cartoon character. I probably shouldn't be pouring salt and lemon juice into your woundedness, anyhow. Upgraded to A+.

Anonymous said...

Wow-- I had forgotten all about the "putative friends" thing. Community hurts, indeed-- or should I say community wounds?

I, for one, affirm your sense of wonder. That's what makes sitting with you in class fun (how's that for asskissing?).

And Mr. Miro-- c'mon, you could get somebody to draw you a knee transplant...

Julie said...

Wow, ten bonus points for Brian, for asskissing without cause!

Anonymous said...

OK, I just found this album, and I thought you should know.

And yes, this was in the course of serious. exegetical. research.

Lest ye doubt...