Saturday, October 28, 2006

timewasters

Via Crooked Timber:

in three minutes, the largest dot will travel around the circle once, the next largest dot will travel around the circle twice, the next largest dot three times, and so on.

the dots are arranged to trigger notes on a chromatic scale when they pass the line

Go here to play. The handcrank version wasn't as fun as I expected it to be, but variation 11 was great! Usually if I want to get dizzy in the computer lab I have to spin in my chair- it's nice to have the work taken out of dizziness for once.

Also, these games might be more fun for those of you who read French, but I'm enjoying not knowing how poorly I'm doing.

PS: The only thing worse than being the audio-visual techie at a conference with lots of tech problems is being the audio-visual techie at a conference with almost zero tech needs. I am bored... bored enough to play silly internet games, the directions to which I can't read because they're written in French.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the microtones... I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone who has heard my singing.

Julie said...

The microtones were pretty cool, although I was distressed by my inability to distinguish between some of the tones. I could tell by color and placement that some were lower than others, but I think my ear was averaging to note I'm familiar with.

This doesn't speak well of my future ability to rake in the cash by, say, being able to tune my own guitar.

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you audition for Sonic Youth...