Friday, July 14, 2006

reverie continued

This was saved in my email, and I ran across it while searching for a phone number. (Yes, Erik, I do intend to call you.) It's a definition of the church that I wrote while filling out seminary applications, possibly ESR's but I don't remember:

I like to think of the church as those who are called by God to enter into a mystical communion and work together to glorify God by incarnating God's Kingdom on earth. That's a rough idea, but I think that it incorporates all the elements that are essential to defining the church. I think of the church in terms of the call on the lives of the individual participants in grace. This call is to membership in the Bride of Christ, a communion that transcends space and time but is also realized in every congregation of the church. I think that all Christians are called to glorify God through worship, both during formal 'worship times' and through the everyday actions of their lives- we are priests of the Kingdom at all times. Finally, we are called to work for the redemption of both individuals and social structures through the redeeming grace of Jesus, which brings the Kingdom of God to earth.

The church's ministry to creation is one of authoritative and gentle stewardship, recognizing that the natural world was created to be under our dominion and working to use the resources God has given us to meet the needs of all people. The church's ministry to those people currently outside the church is accomplished through drawing them into our communion, offering them a sanctuary of healing, and showing them the love of God that will drive them to repentance and the realization of their identity in Christ. The church's ministry to those within the church is much the same, but it includes constantly challenging them to grow in sanctifying grace, providing opportunities for mentorship, and training up new leaders full of holy boldness. The church is also called to the ministry of the prophetic word, speaking God's words of peace, truth, and light into a generation of violence, lies, and darkness.


Good times, good times.

2 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

I feel as though I must comment on this definition, and yet I'm not sure what I think of it. That is, I agree with the main points, but it's couched in language that I wouldn't use myself; and so I'll have to sit with the question of whether the language indicates something that I ultimately agree with but with a different vocabulary, or if there's something else there that I can't quite assent to. It may be the latter, but I can't quite put my finger on it; so maybe not.

Julie said...

I understand the predicament; many of my conversations here at ESR fall into that description.

The mystical communion bit is a remix on Avery Dulles, if that helps any.