Wednesday, July 26, 2006

indigo bunting?

I saw the most beautiful blue birds today! Two of them! If I were at home, I'd assume they were Indigo Buntings, and count myself very blessed since they don't often come up to the feeders. In NY, I see an Indigo Bunting once or twice a summer, maybe. I don't want to assume that's what I saw, though. Does anyone know if there are other small, brilliantly blue birds that I might have seen flying over a cornfield?

Just started working at the Texas Roadhouse. The young woman who I watched serving last night is leaving in two weeks, as are five or six other people I've met in the last two days. I'm not clear if I should be intimidated or not. What if I fail? I'd better not- my mad guitar skills are nowhere near rent-paying capacity.

I don't really think I'm going to fail, not while wearing my spiffy nonskid shoes. I might fail at not cussing out the computer system, though, just for the bleep of it.

4 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

If you can play an E, A, and B (or G, C and D), we can form a band and make tons of money. How hard can it be?

BrianY said...

Yes, your ID of an Indigo Bunting is quite likely. They are abundant here in the summer. Among other places, I've heard/seen scads of them in the Gorge, and at least one behind the Lundeen-Nagel/Hendricks/Eckart housing complex (perhaps that is the cornfield in question?).

The only other candidate would be Blue Grosbeak, which is much less common and has brown wing bars. I've never defintively ID'ed a BG, so I end up squinting intently at every IB I can spot, willing it to grow a bigger beak and change its wing bars. Blasted birds never do...

And congrats on the job. Despite Mr Miro's encouragement to other paths to fame and fortune, I'd say keep it for the time being.

Julie said...

Mr. Miro, how about I play keyboard, and we'll invest in a looping machine so that you can do everything else? I can split vocals with you if you want.

I heard this song yesterday: maybe we'll even make it on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Brian, the Blue Grosbeak is beautiful! I was driving when I saw the birds, so I didn't get a close enough look tp be sure, but I don't remember any brown on the wings.

I think I will keep my job, too- those six chords are coming well, but I can only handle so many types of sin at once. I'm already selling liquor and massive slabs of cow, and I don't want to add rock'n'roll to the list just yet. Seminary is a long experience; I want to pace my decent into wickedness accordingly.

Mr. Miro said...

Hmm... we certainly could do some Yo La Tengo covers with that set-up. For fame and fortune, though, somebody needs to play guitar.