Saturday, June 03, 2006

things learned recently

More organized, due to complaint:

I told my mother that I was getting a job in a whorehouse to pay my rent. She said that she didn't think I could get anyone to pay to watch me read books, and that I was too lazy to do anything else.
Thing learned: My mom's gotten to know me fairly well in the past 24 years.

Aaron fixed the chain on a bike that I'm borrowing for the summer. Riding it went well until I got to the corner south of the bike shop, at which point I tried to slow down, realized I had no brakes, and went flying off the curb into traffic. All ended well, but I had to peddle it back to the bike shop for further repairs.
Thing learned: Bikes are much safer with brakes than without.

This Sunday, "Southern Baptist pastors are being encouraged [...] to preach about the necessity of a constitutional amendment to protect traditional marriage. The legislative matter is scheduled to come before the U.S. Senate for debate and a vote next week." It's Pentecost Sunday, and we're talking about how Jesus would send down holy fire to limit the powers of citizens to make legal contracts with one another. 'Cause if there's one thing Jesus spent a lot of time talking about, it's the balance of power between polis and governors in a representative democracy.
Thing learned: Tomorrow's sermon will probably make me angry.

The Hero With A Thousand Faces, thus far, seems like a confusing jumble of Plato-slanted Greek myths and some stories about the Buddha. There's not as much as I expected pertaining to any other mythological systems. I'm not very far into the book yet, so this isn't really a fair criticism, but...
Thing learned: Reading Joseph Campbell isn't nearly as interesting as listening to people talk about him.

2 comments:

BrianY said...

So... did the MPA come up at Central Baptist? If so, how did it go down?

Anonymous said...

yeah i was relieved that that didn't pass in the senate