Monday, May 01, 2006

found

Things I found while researching my 5 page paper on liturgical theology, ecclesiology, and the sacraments:
A post on hermeneutics, Derrida, and the interpretative community.
A CD I want.
The best definintion of Pentecostals that I've ever read: part Baptist, part medieval mystic.
An article on "whole-life faith" among Christians.
An article on a college buddy's site about the Beholding/Becoming principle.
Mysterio is the new White House press secretary, appearently.
A blog called Captain Sacrament.
Advice on how the theologically appropriate way to eat mudcake.
Something about the priesthood of all the baptized
And a provoking poem:

The Very Thought
I love the very thought of Heaven:
Where angels sing
In perfect, perpetual choir practice.
Where Father, Son and Spirit rule
Unchallenged
And are honoured in full measure.
I love the very thought of Heaven:
But I was not made
To live there.

I was not made
To walk on clouds,
And bask eternally
In immaterial splendour.
I was made for this green planet:
This tight ball
Of aching beauty,
Alive with the unending possibilities
Of his creative power.
I was made for the sunshine
That blazes through the veins of a leaf
And glints on the tiny, perfect back
Of a ladybird crossing my arm.
I was made to be human
In this most human of places.
I was made for earth:
The earth is my home.

That’s why I’m glad that God,
More than anyone,
Is a friend of the earth:
Prepared as he was to die
For its release.
And that’s why I’m glad
That the magnificent, jewelled foundations
Of the mighty pearly gates
Will be anchored
Deeply and forever
In the soil of earth.


This paper is never going to get done.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Probably nothing exciting. It was mostly the name that attracted me- if I were a high church priest, I would want 'Captain Sacrament' embroidered on my vestments.

Mr. Miro said...

I haven't gone through all the links yet--but the first was, um, interesting? I haven't seen so many names dropped in such a small space since... hm. Maybe never.

On the other hand, I was relieved to see that Kyle Potter doesn't actually refer to himself as "Captain Sacrament" (although "Vindicated: The Amazing Blog of Kyle Potter" seems slightly pretentious.) I know what I'd be doing in Amsterdam this weekend, but luckily for everyone, I'll just be "here."