Sunday, May 14, 2006

foolishness

Papers due at 8:30 tomorrow are still not written. Instead, I'm cleaning out an old email account I was using to hold papers I wrote at Houghton. I found this in one of the emails:

"Purgatory is an intermediate state. You know, I like to think of New Jersey as an intermediate state..."
~Dr. Tyson


It made me laugh, I think mostly because I finished all of my papers for Tyson by the skin of my teeth, too. I'm going to need dentures by the time I graduate, either dentures or anxiety medication.

3 comments:

Kate said...

The other day I meant to say "skin of his teeth" and I said "hair of his teeth" instead.

BrianY said...

Poor New Jersey, the butt of so many jokes. Although not universally, though: I remember being at a youth rally when I was in college where the guest speaker introduced himself as being from NJ. I was the only one who laughed-- and quite loudly, too-- so it ended up being quite embarrassing for me. Had to go apologize to the guy afterwards (he was quite gracious). The kids in our group never let me forget that particular indiscretion. Thing was, kids from inner-city Chicago had never heard any of the jokes that I had growing up in Baltimore (or, if they had, they had the good sense and discretion not to LOL).

The southern part of NJ is actually quite underrated; it has a very different vibe from the crowded-interstates-and-Superfund-sites north. Still pretty rural, the Pine Barrens, nice beaches, awesome sweet corn.

And blessings on your discernment class.

Julie said...

I think I generally identify New Jersey as a wannabe part of 'the city,' which Upstate New Yorkers tend to think of as the abide of the Antichrist. Literally. The UN meets there, after all.

I don't often think of it as a state in its own right, but I'll have to keep the sweet corn in mind.