Sunday, April 02, 2006

country wisdom

Every now and then, I hit the seek button on my truck radio and find a good sappy song to mock. Not a few of those mockery attempts end in embarrassment as I either:
a) am reminded by fellow drivers that my windows are down, or
b) slowly realize that this sappy song is about Jesus. Oops.

The latter happened on my way to our non-singing choir rehearsal, so I hit the seek button again. Across the airwaves came this lovely morsel of country wisdom, which I thought warranted sharing:

If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there


This song seems to describe a disturbingly wide swath of my seminary experience, minus the requisite Jim Bean reference:

Ask directions from a genie
In a bottle of Jim Beam
And she lies to you
That's when you learn the truth


Maybe that's what I'm missing. I lived with a crazy lady named Evelyn for a few weeks one summer, and she use to give me Jack'n'Cokes like these, only she taught me to mix them 50/50. I didn't have the heart to tell her how much I dislike drinking soda, that and arguing with crazy people is generally a bad idea.

Come to think of it, Jack has the unfortunate aftertaste of ass. Probably it wasn't just the soda that made those drinks so terrible.

1 comment:

Mr. Miro said...

Country music has the ability to trivialize the profound; the root of the lyric you quoted, if I'm not mistaken, is Winston Churchill.
I'm curious about the "non-singing choir rehersal," though. What are you, Quaker?